Want to lose weight but the diets tested so far haven’t worked? So maybe it’s time to change your method!
- Good news: I am against overly restrictive diets, I encourage my clients to change their eating habits and exercise, and this is the only method I have had lasting results with.
- Bad news: my method does not allow you to lose weight quickly like “lose 10 pounds in 1 week”. I prefer a slower weight loss but over the long term without yoyo effect.
So which slimming program to choose: Those who advocate taking your time or those promising immediate results?
What if I told you that it was possible to lose weight quickly and well, even allowing yourself a few variations from time to time … The whole point is to have a program and to be well informed.
3 fundamentals for a successful diet
The first prerequisite for losing weight is to be motivated. Whether it is on your diet or on sport , you will always want to give up. At such times, remember why you are doing all this and what your motivations are. The first week can sometimes be difficult but you will see, the first kilo lost is encouraging!
2- realistic goals
Set goals and stick to them, BUT don’t set goals too high – it’s the best way to lose motivation. A goal of losing 1 kilo per week is already very good! And no need to step on the scale twice a day to look for an evolution. Again once a week is sufficient, on a fixed day for example every Sunday. And if the weight loss is less than your expectations, don’t panic it happens!
3- go gradually
Take it little by little, don’t go to nothing overnight. The human body is sensitive and requires time to adapt, it does not like too sudden changes. This advice applies to both physical exercise and diet. If you don’t exercise, don’t impose yourself 1 hour a day every day.
Three types of body fat
There are three types of adult body fat: subcutaneous fat (between skin and abs), visceral fat (behind abs, around internal organs); body fat according to the sex of the individual. Each of these types requires a specific control strategy.
1. Visceral fat
As the name suggests, visceral fat is mainly stored in the abdominal cavity, pushing the belly forward. The more obese a person is, the more fat of this type they have. And it is precisely the visceral fat that gives the individual the silhouette of an apple.
Cardio exercises are the most effective against this type of fat. Anyone who claims to have achieved significant weight loss through running has mostly shed visceral fat. If you are able to squeeze your stomach in, you have little that type of fat.
2. Subcutaneous fat
Subcutaneous fat makes up about 40-60% of body fat. It is the fat that you can feel under the skin. Aerobic exercises have less impact on the elimination of subcutaneous fat. Apart from that, one should follow a low calorie diet.
On average you can lose 400-700g of such fat per week (4) , which equates to a deficit of 500-900 kcal per day. The body is unable to burn this fat faster. If you decrease your calorie intake even more, you will mostly lose muscle and not fat.
3. Fat of the lower abdomen and hips
The third type of fat is that which is defined according to our gender. This fat is localized in the lower abdomen in men, in the hips and buttocks in women. The fight against this type of fat is possible if you only have a certain level of subcutaneous fat.
Unfortunately, this fat is the most problematic, since the body uses it last, after getting rid of visceral fat and subcutaneous fat. The strategy to fight this fat requires complex solutions.SUMMARY3 fundamentals for a successful diet1- Motivation2- realistic goals3- go graduallyThree types of body fat1. Visceral fat2. Subcutaneous fat3. Fat of the lower abdomen and hipsNutrition: Change Your Eating Habits1. Learn to eat again2. Choice of foods and cooking methods and seasonings3. Consume unprocessed products4. Eat your fillThe risks of a quick dietYour 8 commandments to lose weight without dietingA doubt ? See a doctorSport: burn calories1. Which sport to lose weight?2. How many hours of sport per week to lose weight?3. The myth of abdominal exercisesWhat about cellulite?Weight Loss FAQ
NUTRITION : CHANGE YOUR EATING HABITS
As I said in the introduction, I advise against all the diets that we hear about everywhere: Thonon diet, Dukan diet, etc. If you are motivated, no need to spend a fortune on slimming programs such as “as I like”, “box diet” or “Weight Watchers”. Their main purpose is to make you spend money rather than lose weight, and risk causing deficiencies.
1. Learn to eat again
The best way to sustainably lose weight is by changing your eating habits. So it will depend on where you are starting from and what you are currently eating. If you regularly drink soda or alcohol and eat fast food, you can imagine that these are the first things to avoid when losing weight.
In general, the first job to do will be to reduce your intake of sugars and fats, and eat more fruits and vegetables. It is necessary to know how to choose the least energetic foods, I advise you to learn to read labels and thus know the approximate nutritional value of common foods.
If you have trouble choosing your foods and understanding the labels, I invite you to try the Yuka app . I did an article on it that you can go to consult, but in a few words it allows you to scan all your food products and obtain a quality index based on its nutritional properties and sugar / fat / salt content.
2. Choice of foods and cooking methods and seasonings
Foods to focus on
One thing I have noticed from my clients is that they are not eating enough fish . Fish is, however, very healthy, a good source of protein and generally low in fat. It’s definitely your diet’s ally, so try to eat fish 2-3 times a week whenever possible. Yes, but fish is expensive; it’s true but there is always a way to find it cheaper, go to Lidl for example the fish is much cheaper there, or buy it frozen. Avoid only the breaded fish 😉
For meats , prefer lean meats and poultry. Remember that you should not eat meat (or fish) at all meals, you can replace them with other sources of protein like eggs, legumes (soybeans, lentils), quinoa, etc.
Vegetables : at will! Vegetables and raw vegetables are recommended with every meal. Fruits are also highly recommended but limited because of their sugar content. Prefer fruits low in sugar .
Recommended cooking methods
- Meats: grilled or roasted;
- Fish: grilled, cooked in the oven or in the microwave, or in foil;
- Vegetables: steamed, stewed or in the microwave
Seasoning and sauces
Add flavor to your meals but use the least fat possible seasonings and sauces: you can use extra virgin olive oil, lemon, soy sauce, herbs and spices. Of course, avoid anything that is ketchup / mayonnaise, and use butter as much as possible.
3. Consume unprocessed products
A simple tip for healthy eating is to avoid processed products, which are rich in food additives . This technique, used for example in Paleo food, consists in favoring fresh products and abandoning the “ready-made” foods that you find in the supermarket: packets of cakes, cans, already cooked meals, etc. Basically anything that does not come directly from nature. In addition to being very healthy for the body, you will find many benefits other than weight loss: reduced risk of disease , better quality of sleep , feeling of well-being , increased energy , etc.
If your budget allows it, favor organic farming which is richer in nutrients and more nutritious than the processed and impoverished products of the agri-food industry.
4. Eat your fill
Contrary to what we have always been put in our heads, going on a diet should not be synonymous with not having enough to eat. Even if some methods like fasting recommend skipping a meal during the day, I think that as long as you only eat healthy foods, then there is no reason to deprive yourself and not eat enough (without excess either, it’s like anything). You are not going to gain weight by eating green vegetables!
The fact of reducing the quantities too drastically and not meeting our daily caloric needs presents a real risk of nutritional deficiencies . Our body needs to be supplied with nutrients ( protein, carbohydrates, fat, fiber, vitamins and minerals ). This is why it is important to eat your 5 fruits and vegetables per day. Tip: don’t hesitate to eat your vegetables frozen if you don’t have time to prepare them, contrary to some popular belief they are very good! Frozen vegetables should not be confused with frozen ready meals.
If you have vitamin and mineral deficiencies, you can fill this gap with dietary supplements in the form of cures.
Small reminder: 80% of diets result in failure and regaining the lost weight. Why ? Because they are ephemeral and do not correspond to a change in eating habits. A restrictive diet will never be held for a lifetime, and as soon as you resume a “normal” diet you will put on the pounds with it.
Do you allow deviations
Because you have to know how to indulge yourself from time to time and because it is essential for your well-being, allow yourself to eat a good meal from time to time. In bodybuilding, there is a well-known concept called “cheat meal” which consists of allowing yourself 1 fatty meal per week. This is a way not to totally dis accustom your body to receiving fatty foods, and also to avoid exploding one day or another.
From experience, I can tell you that if you radically cut all fats and sugars from your diet, one day your body will demand it from you and you risk gorging yourself. You have to succeed in finding the right balance so as not to fall into an obsession with food and generate frustration.
The risks of a quick diet
Even if we are always impatient to see the results, the sustainable diet is therefore the most effective. If you’re still in the mood to try out a magical diet to lose weight fast, here are a few things you might (hopefully) have the envy of you:
- Guaranteed yoyo effect: A too private diet conditions your metabolism for the next “attack”. As he is no longer used to receiving fat, at the first deviation or return to normal, he will store more fat than before to face possible future periods of diet. Result: you gain weight. Finding that you have gained weight again, you go on a diet, and so on. You never get out of it.
- With a drastic diet, you will not provide your body with its daily vitamin and mineral requirements, which will result in increased fatigue and a decrease in your immune system (you will fall ill more often, etc.).
- Deficiencies weaken your nails and your hair.
- Loss of Muscle Mass: While the goal is to burn fat quickly, your body will often burn muscle mass first. Result: you lose your shape (= flat buttocks). To avoid this it is necessary to adopt a balanced diet, rich in proteins, and to play sports to work the muscle mass.
- You are more prone to stress and psychological disorders .
Your 8 commandments to lose weight without dieting
Here is a summary of the main rules to adopt to lose weight effectively without being forced to a private diet:
- Prefer lean meats and favor poultry, fish and shellfish;
- Eat vegetables at will and in all their forms: raw, cooked, in soup;
- To drink a lot of water. Especially forget about sodas and other sugary soft drinks, and if you drink fruit juice for breakfast, buy 100% pure juice and no more than one glass. Only keep alcohol for special occasions (including beer) – you can only drink wine, 1 glass max / day.
- Eat starchy foods at almost every meal: pasta, rice, potatoes or bread. They provide a feeling of fullness and provide the energy and fiber you need.
- Focus on fat-burning foods : green tea, lemon, pineapple… They have real power to eliminate extra pounds. The use of fat burning supplements is a good idea, as long as you do not take anything.
- Do not skip meals , so as not to create a deficiency. If you want to do a fasting, prefer to have a light meal in the evening rather than skipping breakfast which will provide you with the nutrients you need to start the day on the right foot.
- No snacking between meals. If you are hungry, having a full glass of water, coffee, or tea should help keep you going until the next meal. If you still have an appetite, bet on appetite suppressant foods .
- Avoid eating away from home. With the money saved on restaurants, buy quality food.
A doubt ? See a doctor
If you have an illness, a lot of pounds to lose, or any doubt about your state of health, I advise you to consult a doctor or a nutritionist, so that he can make you an adapted diet and allow you to avoid certain errors.